Flicker Free animation VRAY for Maya

The tough thing about Vray is that for the most part it's default render settings are most set up for interior still frames or arch-viz camera fly throughs. When you want objects moving through the scene, Vray's irradience maps are calculated differently each frame....which leads to flickering GI.
I've found a great tutorial that explains the irradiance map prepass method, which works similar to motion blur pre and post frame calculation. What it seems to do is pre-calculate the GI maps then blend them + or - X amount of frames so that flickering is eliminated. It's a two step process, but way faster than brute force GI methods.

http://www.workshop.mintviz.com/tutorials/flicker-free-animation-using-vray/


Comments

Mick said…
It is a good tutorial, but it's not for Maya, rather Max. The problem is that I've tried out this tutorial, carefully step by step, loads of times with Maya & it doesn't seem to work. I'm now waiting until a Maya/Vray tutorial gets posted somewhere.
Mick said…
It is a good tutorial, but it's not for Maya, rather Max. The problem is that I've tried out this tutorial, carefully step by step, loads of times with Maya & it doesn't seem to work. I'm now waiting until a Maya/Vray tutorial gets posted somewhere.
TheCrone said…
I got it to work in Maya and it helped my scene (what part didn't work for you?), however I am getting better results with brute force and light cache rather than irradiance.
Mick said…
Thanks for your comment. You mentioned brute force for your Primary & Light cache for secondary, what mode did you render, single frame? I tried irradiance for the primary bounce so I could do a render prepass in the mode option & then another render with animation prepass but it still flickered. If you don't mind, could you tell me the steps you did 'cos I'm at a loss here? Cheers.

Popular posts from this blog

Maya A/B transform match script